Thursday, September 22, 2011

First Journal Entry

Having a bit of a crisis this week.  Made some work over the summer that is very different from the previous work. In previous work I was concerned with chaos and order, the body, and memory, respectively.  The new work is about….painting?  I’ve never liked paintings about painting, or I do but in the way I admire people who wake up very early to jog.  That is to say I’m sure it’s a very good thing to do, very worthwhile and all that, but there is no way in hell I’m waking up at 6 in the morning to do anything, never mind exercise.  If by some miracle I woke up at 6 in the morning I’d smoke a cigarette and go back to bed for another four hours, at least.  

Old Stuff





















New Stuff

Untitled
18x24
Acrylic on Canvas
Untitled
18x24
Acrylic on Canvas
Untitled
18x24
Acrylic on Cavas



But I’ve made these paintings, and they’re actually good.  I woke up early one morning, went for a jog, and discovered I may have a future in marathon running.  So what do I do?  I like the old work, and it had a raison d’etre, something I cannot say the new paintings have. 

Anyway.  I set up my studio and started working this week. Made two new pieces, here they are:







I like that they are image and gesture simultaneously.  And if the gesture indicates a particular moment in time, then these are both that moment and the impression of that moment (left on the wall.) 

This week I plan on figuring out what the hell is going on with my work, if I’m continuing in the same vein as last spring, if I’m to continue with the work I made this summer, or if I can produce some synthesis of the two. 


Also, I read this article and thought it was pretty great.
http://www.jstor.org/stable/778661
  (you can sign in to Rutgers Libraries and search it on jstor, but this is the abstract)

1 comment:

  1. Good start, funny, well written, good clear images. Not too long.

    ReplyDelete